Thursday, September 8, 2011

Labor Day weekend


Last weekend, I fluctuated between work and fun. Work: my tenure application was due this week, so I had to finalize it. Whew. Fun: Festivals! Dr. Wills (Biology Dept.), Dr. Oliver (Psychology Dept.) and I went to the Renaissance Festival on Saturday where we practiced our archery (Dr. Wills is pictured here with outstretched bow in hand), explored the shops, and were each decorated with some beautiful henna. Then on Monday, a friend and I wandered the streets of Independence at Santa-Cali-Gon Days. This is a celebration of the historic divergence of the three trails (the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon Trails) from Independence. I don't know how the pioneers would feel about attendees' toasting them with fried Snickers bars and paying tribute by riding the "Kick-n-Flip," but it's a fun time nonetheless. Irish Fest was also last weekend, so there was no shortage of things to do in KC.
The coming weekend marks the beginning of Chiefs season! So fair warning - I may not be answering emails between 12 and 3 on Sunday...

No comments: