Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Last Week/Field Trip




I cannot believe that this is the last week of classes! I just gave one of my last Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy lab practicals and had to say good-bye to my students (at least until January). Finals are next week but labs end this Friday. We will also be meeting with the Freshmen in Science seminar for the last time this Thursday, during which time Dr. Scholes and I will be discussing the Biology Field Trip course that we team-teach in the spring. Last year we took our field trip students to Nicaragua for 11 days in late May (see pictures above). It was an invaluable experience, not only with respect to learning biology but also as an opportunity to immerse ourselves in another culture and to perform community service. Next spring we are planning to make a trip to the desert southwest to do a little desert field biology and see the country. Biology Field Trip is, in my opinion, one of the most beneficial courses we offer, as experiencing biology is the best way to learn it.

No comments: